Guest Review of "Afloat" by Erin Healy


Title:  Afloat
Author:  Erin Healy
Pages:  352
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
Vance Nolan is the project manager for Eagle’s Talon, a new condominium community for the wealthy.  The condos are built in a new construction technique and float on water.  Vance has had some difficulties in his teenage years, but as he matured physically, he also matured spiritually with the help of his good friend Zeke.  Vance will soon face the toughest challenge of his life when disaster strikes at the jobsite.
Danielle Clement is a young widow and executive assistant to Tony Dean, the money behind Eagle’s Talon.  Her relationship with Tony has become more than professional recently.  She likes the security his money brings for herself and her young son.  She feels the only way she can earn this money is by letting Tony into her bed.  She knows she doesn’t love him, but what does it hurt to pretend?  As catastrophe after catastrophe strikes her life, she begins to see what kind of man Tony and Vance really are, as well as what kind of woman she is.  She doesn’t like that picture, but what can she do about it?  She sees herself as always being dependent on a man.  Can she find the strength to speak up for herself and stand on her own?  What does Vance have that gives him strength that so draws Danielle to him?
I thought the author did a good job of giving her characters plausible personalities and emotions.  I could find something about each character that I could relate to, which made the story more real to me.  While I didn’t like some of the characters, it was mostly because I could see their negative aspects partially in myself.  I really liked the characters of Zeke and Vance.  Both were strong men of God with a love for God first, then a sacrificial love for others.  This was an interesting story and different from a lot of books I read in that there was a lot of action at the beginning, but then most of the focus was on how the characters interacted with each other.  I look forward to reading more books from this author and hope that readers will make time to enjoy her works.
My rating is 4 stars.

Note:  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts