Monday, October 13, 2014

The Monogram Murders Review


Title:  The Monogram Murders
Author:  Sophie Hannah
Pages:  302
Year:  2014
Publisher:  William Morrow
Hercule Poirot is giving his brain a break from solving crime.  He takes a vacation right across the street from his home.  No sooner has he determined he will take a month off than he is embroiled in a mystery that will test his wits and his patience with his friend Catchpool.  Three bodies are found murdered in a posh hotel with monogrammed cufflinks in their mouths.  Catchpool is called to the scene, but leaves without due diligence to his duty because he is reminded of a painful memory from his past.  This memory crops up more than once over the course of this investigation and causes him to lose focus more than once as well.  Poirot takes over the investigation, leaving Catchpool listed as the investigator in charge, but in reality he is the sidekick of Poirot.
The investigation commences with questions asked of the hotel staff and soon it is discovered that all three victims share something in common.  Catchpool is sent off to investigate this while Poirot stays in London searching for a mysterious woman he met the night of the murders who thinks she will soon be murdered.  Poirot wants to rescue the damsel in distress, but can’t find her anywhere.  It is discovered that there is a link between this mysterious woman and the murder investigation.  Poirot must use his little gray cells quite a bit to solve this mystery with a little help from Catchpool.
While I would give the author a “good try” in her attempt with this novel, I thought it just didn’t capture the essence of Agatha Christie.  I had to force myself to finish it.  There were way too many threads of the plot to follow with too many red herrings.  I lost the thread more than once and got confused a time or two.  I have read all the Agatha Christie mysteries so I’m not a novice at reading her tales.  There were some moments of suspense and mystery, but this one fell flat for me.
My rating is 3 stars.

Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment