Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Jen Turano's :A Match of Whits

Title:  Match of Wits
Author:  Jen Turano
Pages:  352
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Bethany
Since this book was the fourth one in a series and having not read the previous ones, it seemed kind of long.  I appreciated the pig Matilda and some of the funny lines that would unexpectantly crop up between characters, but there didn’t seem to be a lot of action to the story.  I realize it is a romance mainly between Agatha and Zayne, but outside of them there were parts without much to keep me glued to the pages.
Both Agatha and Zayne appeared self-centered and perhaps that was the author’s intent to have readers come away disliking that character trait.  I wonder too how a female author can write about the internal thoughts and struggles of a male character and while not always completing the thoughts in the novel, the audience couldn’t help but complete them.  Brothels could have been shown more for the disgusting and oppressive businesses that they are instead of seeming to be acceptable in the book.
All reviews no matter who writes them are subjective in nature.  Some loved this book and others not quite so much.  While I appreciate the opportunity to read another novel, it just seemed to lack the adventure and intensity that I want to captivate my attention when I open a book.  I loved the humorous parts because I love to laugh and would rate the book higher if there was more adventure than there seemed to be.
I hope the author keeps writing, but adds more action, adventure and intensity in her future novels.
My rating is 3 stars.

Note:  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment