Monday, November 10, 2014

Quilted by Christmas


Title: Quilted by Christmas
Author:  Jodie Bailey
Pages:  240
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Abingdon
When I began reading the tale, I felt as if I had been dropped into a drama without any background information or build up to the point the story begins.  It took me a little bit to get into the story and I found that while it ends with promise the subject matter was somewhat heavy.  The subjects covered in the book were teenage pregnancy, regrets, finding the source of true love and forgiveness to name just a few.  The characters are crafted in such a way that at times I had to remind myself this was fiction and not something I heard on the news.
Part of the tale that brings hope is the truth that some things are harder to handle during the holiday season.  I think another part of the writing shows how not everyone has loving or caring parents and how that can color perceptions of God.  Another aspect of the story is how we all long to be loved and sometimes make bad decisions in an attempt to fill the painful void.  Out of the many quilt stories I have read this one wasn’t one of my favorites not due to the author’s fault, but I was looking for an encouraging tale that was perhaps more lighthearted.
The novel’s subject matter is something to consider if you’re looking for an enjoyable read.  For me, this wasn’t it due to the recent true life experiences in recent months in my life.
My rating is 3 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment