The Brickmaker's Bride

Title:  The Brickmaker’s Bride
Author:  Judith Miller
Pages:  352
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Bethany House
I absolutely enjoyed this story set in 1868, taking place in West Virginia and focusing on a widow with a grown daughter.  Laura is a young woman whose father was killed during the Civil War, but knows how to run a brick making business in all aspects.  Laura and her mother enjoy a very close, open and honest relationship that drew me further into the story.  Laura is very honest with her speaking and sometimes that really tends to irk her friend Winston.  While Laura’s mother gave permission for Winston to court Laura, as the tale progresses I couldn’t help but hope they didn’t marry.
Winston is a character I think crafted by the author to be disliked by readers.  His personality along with his self-centered importance is unappealing.  Laura begins to see Winston for who he really is when she meets the younger of the two buyers of the brickyard, an Irishman named Ewan.  Ewan’s faith and caring nature along with caring for his younger sisters is appealing.  Ewan is working for his Uncle Hugh and is supposed to be made a partner after repaying his uncle for passage to America.  Yet Uncle Hugh is not a man to be counted on as the audience will quickly realize.
As I read I had a feeling I knew what ending the author was leading me towards.  While I was partially correct, the author threw in a well-crafted twist in the end.  One of the aspects of the book I so enjoyed was the beautiful mother/daughter relationship throughout the novel.  Another enjoyable part was how Ewan stayed true to his word and faith even when other characters disappointed or broke their word.  I hope many take time to really enjoy the tale!
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts