Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Last Rescue

Title:  The Last Rescue (How Faith & Love Saved a Navy SEAL Sniper)
Author:  Howard Wasdin with Jowl Kilpatrick
Pages:  288
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
There are many nights that if you were to visit me, you would find me curled up reading.  Reading a book is the most underrated form of entertainment, and I highly encourage more practice the habit.  All any of us has to do is look around and see what a blessing it is to be able to read, especially with the easy access we have here in America.  With that said, I highly recommend The Last Rescue be one of the books in your personal library.
I sat up till the wee hours of the morning until I was finished with this raw and rare behind the “glory” of a SEAL’s life.  Howard shares his heart and life very transparently as he takes responsibility for his mistakes and choices.  Howard’s wife, Debbie, also shares from a wife’s perspective what her experience is with not just being married to a former SEAL, but some of the ways their family has wrestled through times of hardship.  Readers will glean how servicemen and their families struggle internally when their service for our country is over after a serious battle injury nearly takes a life.  Howard shares how words are powerful, especially when he was at his lowest point and what brought him encouragement to keep moving forward.
Transition is more than difficult for the service men and women who return to civilian life.  This book was an eye opener for me.  Simple words of thanks to vets go a long way to heal their hearts and let them know their service wasn’t for nothing.  The church might want to play a bigger role in helping these people find healing of their heart, mind and soul.  I thank Howard and his wife for sharing their story very honestly with America and beyond as it needs to be told and shared so Americans can come alongside them.  Howard was also part of the team that was in the movie Blackhawk Down.  In the book, he shares how accurate or inaccurate the movie depicted their experiences.
So grab a cup of “joe” (coffee) curl up in your favorite chair and read a very touching account of one man’s journey from the brink of despair to where he is today.
My rating is 5+ stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment