Wonderful Lonesome


Title:  Wonderful Lonesome (Amish Turns of Time Book #1)
Author:  Olivia Newport
Pages:  320
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Barbour
I would have to say that this is not a typical Amish read to me; it is very different from several authors I have sampled thus far.  The setting is a town called Lonesome in the state of Colorado where twelve Amish families have come to a land with high expectations and hopes.  Abigail is the oldest daughter of one of the families who is very firm in her resolve to see the communities’ inhabitants not give up because of drought or lack of a minister.
Abigail has collected various pieces of fabric from each of the twelve families to put together a quilt as a symbol of hope for the Amish people.  However, there are some hard realities that test Abigail’s resolve along with her fierce determination to stay true to her Amish faith.  The ending of the novel seems quite ingenious to me as I continued glued to the very end of the tale.  I found similar examples of how the Amish community comes together to celebrate, mourn or care for each other as I have read in other stories.
While I view the Amish as a community from which we could learn from, it was refreshing that the author didn’t paint a surreal picture as some other novels I have read.  The author crafted the people as if they were people we meet in our everyday lives.  The audience will see the struggle just to survive, both externally in the community as well as spiritually.  I won’t tell you the ending, but it will be interesting to see what you readers think of Olivia Newport’s new series.  I found her novel a compelling and intriguing read from start to finish.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts