Sons of God's Gnerals

Title:  Sons of God’s Generals
Author:  Joshua Frost
Pages:  152
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Destiny Image
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org
After I read the book, it seemed like a good idea to visit online stores to read feedback before writing my own.  What I find most interesting sometimes about others’ feedback is either statements without any thoughtful reasons why someone liked or disliked a book or what appears to be feedback without discernment.  Now feedback on any book or product is completely subjective as anyone who writes reviews knows and that people can agree or disagree with what is posted sometimes responding to the person.  I desired to read this book because I felt the prompting of the Holy Spirit to do so, and when I do, I am prayerfully reading the book.  I constantly ask the Holy Spirit to show me what I can glean or need to ignore and if I feel conviction I stop reading to ask forgiveness.  The reason I share this with you is to encourage all readers to carefully read nonfiction or fiction books with discernment and prayerfully.
Each adult offspring of these people share transparently both the ups and downs of living with parents who ministered full time as pastors or missionaries.  One of the stories I appreciated most was written by Yana Banova Brink titled, Green Grass.  She shares how the Lord taught her to allow Him to teach her the difference between doing ministry and allowing her life to be the ministry.  She had traveled to many third world countries with her parents and now is a stay-at-home mom or referred to as SaHM.  These women who choose to stay at home and raise their children without a “job” outside the home need to know they are in ministry…their family.  I was gratified that at least one of the writers shared this understated and under recognized truth in these days.
Readers need to know that most of the authors have a charismatic viewpoint and experiences.  No matter what theological or congregational viewpoint a book comes from it is imperative to glean what the Lord wants you to and toss the rest.  Sometimes when I would read, I sensed a red flag moment and other times I could laugh at a comical moment experienced by the author.  Some of these adult children really went through rough times and heartache.  The Lord was so faithful to bring them to a place of reconciliation, healing of the heart and soul or gave them a balanced perspective of the past.
My rating is 3 stars.
Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Post a Comment

Popular Posts