Friday, February 20, 2015

The Crimson Cord


Title:  The Crimson Cord:  Rahab’s Story (Daughters of the Promised Land #1)
Author:  Jill Eileen Smith
Pages:  362
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Revell
This is the first book in Jill Eileen Smith’s new fiction series titled, Daughters of the Promised Land.  The story is about Rahab, who is only mentioned briefly in Scripture.  The setting is Jericho in the Old Testament time period.  Rahab’s fictional story begins with her abusive marriage to a gambling husband.  Rahab’s husband gambles one too many times and is sold into slavery thereby leaving Rahab unprotected and forced into prostitution to pay part of her husband’s debt by the man who becomes her master.
As the story progress, albeit slowly, Rahab is passed from her master’s bed to the royal prince’s bed, then to several high level officials.  Because of what she is forced to do, her family also shares in her disgrace.  Then, the Israelites are on the scene and Jericho falls.  What will happen to Rahab now?  Will she continue to be shunned by this new group of people, the Israelites, because of her occupation?  Will she ever feel redeemed by this God of the Israelites?
This book had an interesting character to make a good story, but this one just couldn’t hold my attention.  I did think the author did a good job of fictionalizing Rahab’s background and how she became a prostitute.  I thought her feelings of despair and helplessness in that terrible situation were realistic.  Beyond that though there was just not enough tension or climactic situations to move the plot along for my taste.
My rating is 3 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment