The First Principle


Title: The First Principle
Author: Marissa Shrock
Pages:  240
Year:  12/2014
Publisher:  Kregel
Bravo for Marissa’s first published book!  I knew when I agreed to review the book that is what written for a YA audience but don’t let that make older readers pass this novel up without reading.  Marissa is an middle school language arts teacher who knows her targeted audience really well.  While the story takes place in a futuristic environment the issues teens deal with are relevant to today’s crowd.  The stakes are high in tension building novel that kept me glued until I finished.
The main female character Vivica is placed in situations where choices are limited but courage, fortitude and a seeking heart are all necessary.  The government depicted in the story is one which should challenge the current teenage generation to become involved in faith, government and know America’s history.  Some of the events in the story such as limitations to how many children in a family and penalties families pay for more children can be seen in some countries today. I hope many consider where America is heading and how the future leaders are going to impact the course in their lifetime.
Vivica makes a decision which I consider very courageous and heart breaking.   Yet Viv thought not of herself but of how it would impact others in making her decision.  The Emancipation Warriors is a group in the novel that stands for the constitution and Biblical authority but that is not where the government in the story stands.  Just that one facet alone makes this book a must read for any generation.  There is one elderly character who is a reflection of many heroes in our past and present, what happens to him in the story I hope raises attention to readers as it might remind some of past events.
I hope the author continues to write books which bring such fast paced, action pact and thought provoking.  Set aside a couple hours to not just read the novel but perhaps have a discussion with others about the novel.
My rating is 5+ stars.
  
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Post a Comment

Popular Posts