Friday, March 20, 2015

A Fine Summer Day by Charles Todd



Title:  A Fine Summer’s Day (An Inspector Rutledge Mystery)
Author:  Charles Todd
Pages:  358
Year:  2015
Publisher:  William Morrow
Inspector Ian Rutledge is a young man in his mid-twenties, making a name for himself at Scotland Yard.  He will stop at nothing to see justice done and solve his cases.  He is newly engaged to the daughter of a career soldier.  She and her father feel it is Ian’s duty to enlist if war breaks out or he might appear to some to be a coward.  As the threat of war looms ever closer, Ian is on the hunt to catch a serial killer.  He travels across half of England it seems to follow leads and/or interview family and friends of victims.  He gets closer and closer to nabbing the killer, but he remains just out of Ian’s reach.  Ian despairs of ever bringing the killer to justice, and then the worst does happen…England is at war.  Ian must decide if he should enlist or remain as a dedicated police officer at the Yard until drafted.  He was due to be married at Christmas in 1914, and most think the war will be over by then, but Ian isn’t so sure.
Fans of the Inspector Rutledge series won’t be disappointed with this latest entry.  I couldn’t put the book down.  I was so fascinated to get a look at Ian Rutledge before the war to see if or how he was different than the man that emerged from the war.  There was the same relentless drive before the war as after it to speak for the victims who could no longer speak for themselves through seeking justice against the perpetrator of crime against them.   This story provided more background about Ian and helped me to see his character more clearly; it gave him more depth.  I got the chance to know him even better.  This is a great series and one I hope doesn’t end any time soon!
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment