Saturday, March 28, 2015

Daughters of the Regiment


Title:  Daughters of the Regiment
Author:  Stephanie Grace Whitson
Website:  http://stephaniewhitson.com/new/index.htm
Pages:  336
Year:  2015
Publisher:  FaithWords
My Rating:  5 stars
The Irish Brigade was fighting on the side of the Union in Missouri when Maggie Malone receives news that one of her brothers is injured.  Not having heard from either brother, Maggie takes it upon herself to go find the regiment and see what the real story is regarding her brother plus tell him of what occurred on their family farm.
Libby is a southern lady yet her behavior, attitude and more set her apart from other southern belles.  Libby is under the care of her brother who treats her like he is a task master than an older brother.  With the battle happening right outside her front door, a peculiar friendship is birthed and romances begin to bloom.
At the end of the work of fiction, the author shares what happened to the real people who lived at that time and through that battle.  I was captured by the history and setting of the tale from the first moment I started reading until I reached the ending.  I had never read anything prior by the author, Stephanie Grace Whitson, but I can tell you I will be reading more of her novels in the near future.
The story is written with heart and stirs emotions of readers.  The action is easy to picture in the mind with the way the author describes what is happening.  Before encountering the book, I hadn’t known anything about the Daughters of the Regiment or about the women who once earned the title.  The author did a spectacular amount of research considering her scope was on a small area, time frame and battle.  Such a tremendous amount of virtue and courage these women must have shown, and are a gleaming example to all today!
Indie Bound: http://bit.ly/1zFz8bI
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Post a Comment