Monday, March 9, 2015

Mercy's Rain



Title:  Mercy’s Rain (An Appalachian Novel)
Author:  Cindy K. Sprouls
Website:  http://www.amazon.com/Cindy-Sproles/e/B004GL8Y02/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1
Pages:  264
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Kregel
After I finished reading it, I sat there contemplating the tale I had just finished in one sitting.  How does a reviewer describe reading a story that was powerful and brought conflicting tension in me?  Part of me wanted to put the book down; yet, part of me was deeply moved and unable to stop myself from finishing the book.  Cindy Sprouls writes a story set in the 1800s in the mountains where the characters in the story reflect the basest of human evil along with those they inflict it upon.  It then leads the audience to discover that what goes deeper still is the love of God.
In some ways I was reminded of The Hiding Place a story based on the true experiences of Corrie Ten Boom along with her family during WWII, which I highly recommend.  Here, in Mercy’s Rain, though purely fiction, we see similar themes of hatred, abuse, evil things mankind inflicts upon others.  Yet, we see the pure and infinite love of God that reached beyond the evil to a heart that builds walls to protect itself from anymore pain.
The truth that mankind can inflict such atrocities is brilliantly dealt with by a man who really loves the Lord and makes the commitment to show the difference to a young woman named Mercy.  In a Christ like manner, the preacher Samuel willingly embraces the pain, memories and knowledge of what Mercy endured.  Mercy’s character is a reflection of many who have been deeply wounded and try hard to barricade their heart to self-protect from further harm.  Through slowly showing Mercy true love, acceptance and the truth about God by others in the story, Mercy realizes she must choose to believe the truth and let go of the past or remain a prisoner to the past.
Powerful, captivating and a shining reflection of God’s infinite love, Mercy’s Rain reminds us that no matter the extent of evil, God goes farther still.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment