Then Sings My Soul Review


Title:  Then Sings My Soul
Author:  Amy K. Sorrels
Website:  https://amysorrells.wordpress.com/
Pages:  360
Year:  2015
Publisher:  David C. Cook
The author’s first novel, How Sweet the Sound, I read and enjoyed sharing my thoughts about on my blog.  Now, after finishing Then Sings My Soul, I’ve got to say this book deeply resonated with my heart and soul.  Why you may ask?  For many reasons one of which was learning how much of the author’s personal history is included in the story.  Simply fascinating and heart-gripping are two of the words I think of when I reflect on the novel.
Through the use of flashbacks readers will become engrossed in a timeframe of history in the Ukraine, coming to the present day in Michigan.  Jakob is the main character that the story is woven around and readers discover the past haunts his waking moments as much as it has impacted his dreams at night.  What Jakob endures is what readers will discover along with what he rediscovers when he tells his only child about the past in Ukraine.
Jakob is like the Jacob in the Bible including the wrestling with God, and after a fall his hip replacement slows down his walk.  Nel, his daughter, believes she is unlovable and nothing is more important than designing her jewelry that she learned from her father, which he learned from his papa.  Nel’s past comes to the forefront of her life when she moves in to care for her aging father and comes to love a man from her younger years in Michigan.  Faith, working with stones and engraving are major parts of the story.  It was eye opening to learn at the end of the novel just how much the author’s personal history was woven in the tale.
Another reason I love the book is the history shared so naturally about the hymn “How Great Thou Art”, which reminded me of a lost loved one and the faith that sustains.  Hymns are rich in history and steep in faith, love and more about the God we worship.  In the novel, we see reflections of reality in that we can pass down our heritage, memories and faith.  Sometimes in doing so we are ourselves strengthened and perhaps like Jakob we learn the truth of what happened so long ago.  I cannot thank the author enough for sharing such a wonderful story and faith with anyone willing to pick up the book and read!
My rating:  5+ stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Post a Comment

Popular Posts