Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Legacy (Restoration Series #4)


Title:  The Legacy (Book #4 in the Restoration Series)
Author:  Dan Walsh & Gary Smalley
Website:  http://www.danwalshbooks.com/
                  https://www.facebook.com/gtsmalley
Pages:  336
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Revell
My Rating:  5 out of 5 stars
The story centers mostly on the youngest adult child of Jim and Marilyn, who live in Florida as do their other family members.  One character is named Christina who became a believer and after her son was born selflessly put him up for adoption.  For a while there it seemed as if Doug and Christina would have a romantic relationship, but Doug wasn’t in a good solid place in his life.
In seeking counsel as to how best to help Doug when he chose a different way of life other than the one he was raised in, the story of the Prodigal Son sheds some light of wisdom on the way to live while waiting to see if Doug would repent and return to the Lord.  I found that particular aspect very insightful, especially when different points about the story Jesus told were shared through one of the supporting characters.
I won’t share too much, but I can tell you I was encouraged when a point was made that neither son of the father in Jesus’ story took after their father.  Neither the son who left nor the one who stayed reacted as the father had to both sons.  The point being that as parents we can raise our children up in the way they should go, walking with the Lord, but if they make other choices it is a reflection on them.  The only caveat is if as a parent we actually did wrong bringing about the child.
Though I hadn’t read the previous novels in the series, I couldn’t stop reading The Legacy as it really touched my heart.  As a parent now to two grown sons one of whom has left the nest, I too see that as a parent we never stop loving, praying for or reaching out to our adult children.  The father in the story had a real hard time when there was silence on the phone or when Doug wouldn’t call, text or email him back.  While his heart was broken, he was learning how to trust God completely with his son and learning to communicate with his wife.
I hope you make time to read this inspiring novel along with the Biblical account found in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke.  We can be encouraged and have our hearts buoyed as we wait for our loved ones, friends or others who have lost their way to come back home to the Lord.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457

Post a Comment