Wilderness Rising


Title:  Wilderness Rising (Church Builder #2)
Author:  A.L. Shields
Pages:  329
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Zondervan
Wow!  If you like espionage, searching for ancient artifacts and action, this is the book for you.  This is book two of the Church Builder series, and I highly recommend reading book one in the series, The Church Builder, first.  Book two begins where book one leaves off, so if you haven’t read book one, it will be difficult to follow the plot and figure out what is going on.
Bethany Barclay now finds herself following her best friend Annabelle Seaver’s clues to find the Pilate Stone left behind before Annabelle’s untimely death.  Bethany is on the run from the FBI as well as other law enforcement agencies in the U.S.  She has traveled to England under duress, following Annabelle’s trail crumbs in order to save her young friend, Janice, from an early death at the hands of the Wilderness in the time frame of two weeks.  She is a fugitive so she is constantly on the move, paying for everything in cash, never staying in one place more than one night and always looking over her shoulder.  She has help from ex-CIA agent Ray Fuentes, who remains in the shadows as much as possible, as well as FBI agent Carl Carraway.  Both undertake the task of finding out where the Wilderness is holding Janice captive while Bethany travels to Europe.  Bethany also encounters British intelligence as they are interested in the Pilate Stone as well.  Bethany constantly has to evaluate who can be trusted and who is an enemy.  Can she find this obscure relic that most say doesn’t even exist before Janice is killed?
The action is intense and the tension ramped up to make this a novel bent on keeping readers involved, which it does very effectively.  I couldn’t put this down as I just had to know what Bethany would find around the next corner.  I admire her intelligence and quick thinking on her feet as she tries to decipher the clues to the Pilate Stone as well as to thwart her enemies to stay alive.  The battle between good and evil is depicted in a way that will captivate readers and hopefully make them think about the unseen spiritual battles that happen 24/7.  I know it made me more aware of this and I have made some additions to my prayers.  I hope there will be more books in this exciting series.  I’ve got a new book for my “keeper” shelf!
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts