Saturday, May 9, 2015

Lethal Beauty by Lisa Wiehl ( A Mia Quinn Mystery #3)



Title:  Lethal Beauty (Mia Quinn #3)
Author:  Lis Wiehl
Pages:  305
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
This go-round Mia is intent on pursuing justice for the death of a young, Asian, teenage prostitute.  The jury deliberates, but can’t come to a unanimous agreement due to a lone holdout.  The jury is declared hung by the judge, and Mia expects her boss to okay the refiling of the case for a new trial.  Unfortunately, her boss thinks it a poor use of time and money with the unlikely event of a conviction so no new trial is scheduled.  Mia is unhappy with this and vows to herself not to give up in getting justice for the victim and the victim’s mother.
As Mia investigates with homicide detective, Charlie Carlson, she begins to uncover more than she could have bargained for.  The case gets deeper and deeper into the world of human trafficking.  While the tension mounts to find the ringleader of this gang, specializing in human trafficking, drugs, steroids and prostitution, Mia is faced with the usual day-to-day challenges and stresses of being a widowed mother of a teenager and toddler.  However, she soon finds out that not all is well at home when her teenage son begins to have a drastic change in attitude.  She also thinks two of her male friends both want to be more than friends in her life, so they silently compete with one another for her affection, even though Mia doesn’t want a man in her life right now.  The gang leader soon ramps up his efforts to have the case closed in whatever means possible and the danger strikes Mia and those close to her.
I really am enjoying this series and the character of Mia Quinn.  Her character is realistically portrayed and I can certainly relate to her struggles raising her children.  She’s got a sense of humor as well as dogged determination.  She will never give up on her family or seeking justice for a victim of crime.  The plot kept me interested as well as made me much more aware of my own naiveté regarding the subject of human trafficking and how it could be happening right in my own city.  A wake-up call for sure!  There are some references to events that take place in the first two books in the series, so I would read the books in order with book one, A Matter of Trust and then book two, A Deadly Business.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment