Lori Benton's latest historical novel: The Woods Edge


Title:  The Wood’s Edge (The Pathfinders #1)
Author:  Lori Benton
Pages:  400
Year:  2015
Publisher:  WaterBrook
This story takes a look at our nation beginning in the 1757 and continuing to the moment when the Revolutionary War begins.  It blends a great deal of historical research with a fictional story of one soldier and the decision he made that changed two families’ lives forever.
Reginald Aubrey is fighting for his life and that of his wife as the French and Indians invade the British fort where he has been serving.  A truce was declared, but the Indians are uncontrollable and begin killing and looting.  Reginald has just checked on his wife, who has just given birth to their first son as the fort comes under attack.  He finds her asleep with their son, but makes a grim discovery.  He then is faced with a choice, one that is made rashly with consequences that will be felt for years to come.
Good Voice is a young white woman who was taken captive by the Indians as a toddler.  She has no memory of her life before becoming one of the People.  She is married to a fierce warrior named Stone Thrower.  During the battle for the fort, she is separated from her husband and taken captive to the fort by the British.  She escapes after several hours, but on the way back to her husband makes a devastating discovery that will haunt her.
It took a bit for me to really get into the story, but once I did, I was hooked until the end!  The time period is one I find interesting, so that made the story more enjoyable for me.  The journey of the Native American family to find true peace with the only One who can give it was stunning.  Their whole-hearted faith in the face of struggles was humbling to me.  There wasn’t a character I didn’t like; they all were ones I could relate to as far as emotions are concerned.  I eagerly kept reading because I cared how the characters’ stories progressed.  I can’t wait for the second book in the series titled, A Flight of Arrows to be released in 2016.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts