Mesu Andrews: The Pharoh's Daughter



Title:  The Pharaoh’s Daughter (Treasures of the Nile #1)
Author:  Mesu Andrews
Pages:  367
Year:  2015
Publisher:  WaterBrook Press
Anippe is the daughter of Pharaoh and sister of future King Tut, but at the age of five, her mother dies in childbirth, which Anippe witnesses.  This gives Anippe an extreme fear of childbirth that affects her choices later in life.  As a young girl, she is adopted by a trusted general of Pharaoh.  At age nine, her father dies, making Tut Pharaoh.  Her relationship with Tut changes as he is consumed with a new life as ruler of a nation.  At age 14, she is married to the Captain of Pharaoh’s Army.  She grows to love him, but fears having a baby.  She enlists the Hebrew midwives to help her maintain her deception.  After Tut’s wife miscarries a baby, he is encouraged by an advisor that the Hebrews have become too numerous and the male children should be killed to restore balance.  Tut in his grief agrees and so the very women Anippe enlists to help her are also the same women ordered by King Tut to kill the Hebrew male babies.
As the story progresses, the political machinations increase.  Anippe longs to be a mother and loves children, but her fear of childbirth still haunts her and keeps her glued to her deceptions.  Then, one day she finds a baby floating in a basket and thinks the gods have granted her wish to be a mother.  But Anippe’s lies continue, putting herself and Mehy (Moses) in danger.  What does the future hold for herself and her son?
I really wanted to like this book, but it just didn’t click with me.  I normally love historical fiction and have been fascinated with Egyptians for as long as I can remember, so I was surprised to not enjoy this book.  I didn’t like any of the characters in the story, so I didn’t really matter to me what happened to them.  I did appreciate the awesome setting and tremendous amount of research done by the author.  Book two in the series is due to be released in the spring of 2016, and I plan on reading that story as it is about Moses’ sister Miriam.
My rating is 3 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts