Wounds of God (Hawk & Dove Series #2) by Penelope Wilcock


Title:  The Wounds of God (The Hawk and the Dove #2)
Author:  Penelope Wilcock
Pages:  187
Year:  1991
Publisher:  Lion Fiction
The second book in The Hawk and the Dove series also has the daughter, Melissa, asking her mother to tell her stories that have been handed down from generation to generation by the females in her family.  These stories center on a monastery in the early 1300s, featuring Abbot or Father Peregrine and the brothers who served with him in the monastery.  Young Melissa, who is now sixteen years old, is gaining much advice, knowledge and insight into how to live for God through these stories.
In this series of tales, we learn more about Father Peregrine and his ability or lack thereof to handle his disability and the reliance it causes him to have on others for help.  We see others reactions to his disability and a protective bond that has formed between Peregrine and his fellow brothers at the monastery.  The love Peregrine feels for his brothers he expresses in ways of humility, discipline, and putting them in a situation where they are forced to come to terms with their fear in order to allow them to completely surrender to God.
Just as in book one in the series, this second book is filled with spiritual examples with practical applications to put to use in situations and relationships.  Again, I couldn’t put the book down as I was, just like Melissa in the book, so drawn to see what Father Peregrine and his fellow brothers in the monastery were up to next.  I seemed to be always begging for another story just like her.  My heart was tugged at some of the ways Father Peregrine showed certain brothers the love of Christ by putting himself in a difficult or humiliating situations.  Readers will see Father Peregrine struggle with his pride, but remember Jesus’ sacrifice and wounds on the cross and then surrender himself to God.  I am so grateful to have come across this series that has so much to teach readers about how to live life with a God focus.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts