Anita Higman's New Novel: Summer's List


Title:  Summer’s List
Author:  Anita Higman
Pages:  288
Year:  2015
Publisher:  River North
My rating is 5 stars out of 5!
When I began the reading the tale of a very special bond between Granny and her granddaughter named Summer Snow, I sensed that it might have a hint of sadness to the novel.  However, over arching the whole book is the work God can do to mend broken lives, families and relationships.  The factor which tended to scare the main characters Summer and her childhood friend Martin was risk.  They knew they had a strong friendship so it was to grow into a deeper relationship it meant letting go of the friendship safety net to venture into the new territory of marriage.
One of the latest social buzzwords in our society is “bucket list” which I cannot stand but the author takes that word and turns it into something I believe is a better avenue.  Now if I were to tell you how I would think it would take away the joy of discovery which comes with reading.  What I can say is there are also raw emotions dealt with in novel between Martin’s brothers and himself.
The book is quick moving tale which captures the reader’s heart from the start until the very end.  The story is at times thought provoking as the Martin’s Langtree siblings are dealing with a past that has secrets.  A mystery if you will because the Langtree siblings want to know why their parents have left them, divorced each other and moved ½  way around the world.  Due to strained relationships between the grown sons and parents it tended to pour negative feelings, words and actions within the three young men’s lives.
The faith Martin has kept him from being unable to handle the truth and facing the short comings in his life.  Martin’s faith propelled him to pray, trust and risk seeking reconciliation with those he hurt and was hurt by.  For summer she held tight to her last living relative, granny.  Granny being away of her declining health and knowing how Summer would react, takes time to seek God and then write out the path Summer is to take in finding out who she is in Christ, and what she desires out of life.
I really give kudos to the author for writing a very heart and gut grabbing tale that is very realistic in many ways.  Anita Higman shows us that without Christ we are truly lost and without answers.  With Christ we can be changed and learn to walk in faith, love and hope daily.  Perhaps instead of writing a bucket list you might consider writing a list similar to what granny wrote bathed in prayer. A beautiful novel reader will be sure to adore for years to come, and share with others who might like to read a moving tale!



Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment

Popular Posts