Home to Chicory Lane (Chicory Inn Series #1)


 Title:  Home to Chicory Lane (Chicory Inn Series #1)
Author:  Deborah Raney
Pages:  272
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Abingdon
My rating is 5 stars out of 5.

The sequel to the novel named above was published, so to remind myself of the story I reread this first book in the series.  Most of it I remembered though there of course were parts I didn’t recall.  The tale centers around a couple who are now empty nesters with their youngest daughter recently married who is on her way home in reaction to a spat wither husband.  The parents took their empty home and remodeled it so it could become an inn, which was a lifelong dream of Audrey.  Audrey's husband Grant was able to complete most of the work and supported this change.
All the adult children were told that they were still always welcome anytime as family was the major focus for the Whitman’s.  When opening day comes for the inn, so too do the children with their spouses.  They have come to assist, encourage and support in any way required to help fulfill their parents' dream.  The only down side to the day was remembering the one son killed in action who couldn’t be a part of the celebration this day or for anything ever again.

In the novel, it is quite clear that choosing to open an inn was the easiest part as what lay ahead would bring both good experiences and not so bright ones.  As I was reading, I fell in love with the story, family and faith woven in each page.  In some ways, I thought I was reading instances written in a newspaper but alas it was all fictional.
Another aspect of the series I believe is a strong one is how the family works, prays, laughs, and cries, basically staying together through thick and thin.  The parents don’t have all the answers and the adult children aren’t perfect at all; they all resemble real human beings.  The story continues in the sequel, Two Roads Home, which I will review here as well with a promise of a third one to be released at some point down the road.

All I can really say is that these stories are lifelike, encouraging, filled with hope and enjoyable to get lost in for a couple of hours.  So grab a copy, enjoy it and then be prepared to read the sequel that continue to share the Whitman’s fictional experiences of running an inn, being a family and walking through life.
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


Post a Comment

Popular Posts