Thursday, June 4, 2015

Paper Hearts



Title:  Paper Hearts
Author:  Courtney Walsh
Pages:  416         
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Tyndale
My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org
Sappy romances never were books that drew my attention.  In fact, anything that seems unrealistic in a work of fiction I quickly put aside and start another novel.  However, Paper Hearts isn’t sappy.  If anything, it is a mystery, romance, a reflection of reality of human relationship and faith.  I started the book a couple of hours ago and just kept reading right on through all the way to the end!
I got caught up in a woman named Kelly whose personality given her is the pinnacle of antagonistic.  I mean she is someone I  loved to see what happened to her when she attempted to take over a man’s heart and dream.  Oh and there is  local group of women who are reflections of matchmakers of old, but are as diverse as any I have met in the pages of fiction.  The way the author develops the plot made me think I knew how it was all going to play out in the story, but gee whiz was I ever wrong!
Then, when I read the author’s note, which shares how she was able to relate to some of the characters and their life experiences, again I was surprised.  I have never read any other books by Courtney Walsh. She is a new writer to me and I like what she wrote in this work!  Perhaps one reason I liked it so much is how she adds elements of reality in the book that lend credence to the tale so it doesn’t come off as unbelievable or a waste of time reading.
When you get her novel and prepare to read it, whether in a group or solo, mark out some time!  Even if you read it in small time slots, you’re going to lose yourself in a small town whose history has a twist few of the locals don’t remember. Maybe the one woman in the tale who has her heart broken and chooses not to deal with her situation honestly, which colors her view of others, is a character that you can relate to.  If that is the case, I hope no matter how painful you will let God heal you and help you take one step forward at a time. 
Enjoy the book!  I know I will reread it again sometime in the future.

Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ .  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment