Taken by Dee Henderson





Title:  Taken
Author:  Dee Henderson
Website:  http://www.deehenderson.com/
Pages:  432
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Bethany
My rating is 5 stars out of 5!
Dee Henderson’s newest novel caught my attention some time back and I recently bought it.  Being as busy as I am reading and writing reviews, it is a rare moment for me to pick something for myself not related to a commitment of one sort or another.  I read other reviews sometimes and a lot of folks like her O’Malley series; others didn’t care for her writings after that series.  I think it depends upon more factors than I am aware of it or can state.  Regardless, I was in the mood for a mystery that intrigued, entertained, along with the plot of a woman showing up 11 years after her abduction.  Taken is such a novel!  Dee Henderson captivates readers with a story where a woman is waiting outside in the hallway for a particular man who spoke at a conference in Chicago.  Matthew was chosen specifically by Shannon because he knew what road to recovery Shannon would be traveling, considering his daughter Becky went through a similar experience years earlier.  There is more attention paid to the people Shannon would need in her life until she felt able to share her story.
During the time Shannon spends with Matthew, a budding friendship begins although a blossoming romance isn’t out of the question for Matthew or Shannon.  Matthew is the go between Shannon her friends, family and various law enforcement agencies.  Taken is unlike other similar novels in that there is not violence taking place or action.  The main focus is on what Shannon reveals, capturing the offenders and aiding Shannon into her future with as few bumps as possible now that she has regained her freedom to choose.
What I found amazing is how Shannon’s faith is what sustained her during those years of uncertainty and danger.  I loved her ability to never give up hope of gaining freedom and the way she acted to help others to escape the syndicate.  Shannon’s character is very intelligent, meticulous in observation and knowing what she does or doesn’t wish to rehash verbally with anyone.  The fact that Shannon kept journals throughout her captivity is a twist I hadn’t read before in other novels dealing with the subject matter of abduction.
If you like novels with the focal point being interpersonal relationships, this one is a great find!  If you like books with a ton of action, danger or adventure, you might or might not be disappointed.  I was captivated by how the respective law agencies worked together with Shannon playing her revelations close to her vest and the choices made by characters as various other situations came into play.  I would have enjoyed more danger lurking in the shadows or action, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book without it too.  The ending as well as some other threads in the book that weren’t resolved makes me wonder if a sequel will come or another story with these characters.  I did learn a character in this book along with her history was introduced in Unspoken by Dee Henderson released in 2013.  I haven’t read it yet so it doesn’t have to be read before reading Taken unless a reader so choose.  I really enjoyed the way the plot unfolded, the characters and the element of faith.  I hope you enjoy reading this during your summer break!
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457
Post a Comment

Popular Posts