Day of Atonement



Title:  Day of Atonement (A Novel of the Maccabean Revolt)
Author:  David DeSilva
Pages:  320
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Kregel
My rating is 5 out of 5 stars!
Many people know or heard of the yearly Day of Atonement, but how many know of the Maccabean war?  In the Protestant Bible, we don’t include the apocryphal books of the Maccabees as they aren’t considered inspired Scriptural, but if you read them as containing history your heart will be challenged.  The author takes readers back to that historical period where the people of Israel stood up and fought back in order to restore their God-given temple along with living according to their covenant with God.
You might consider reading the historical account before the novel so as to really appreciate and be touched by these brave people:  http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/Maccabees.html
Reading what actually occurred will help you be able to distinguish fact from fiction.  As I read, I wasn’t too drawn into the story because I wanted the action I knew was coming; yet, the more I read the more my heart was touched by the characters and the courage and pain sometimes involved in standing with God. As persecution and brutality increased tenfold and the choice to either submit to the human king's demand or die holding onto their conviction of the One True God, my heart was gripped tightly!
Even in our day and age we have enemies who place the same choice before those who follow the One True God and the Lord Jesus Christ.  It may look different or sound different, but when the smoke clears it is still the same choice.  I wonder if I have that same courage to stand in faith for God or die if that was to be a reality?  I can only hope and pray that I too would choose to stand firm in my faith and denounce man’s false promises or threats.
This novel is one that I highly recommend be in a believers' homes to be read for generations.  I am not Jewish, but I am a Christian and I want to stand with Israel and her people now and always.  I want my sons and their children to be challenged by the history of Israel to stand, praise God, never denounce their faith even when faced with death.  Let today be the day that Jews and Christians together say, “As for me and my house we will serve the Lord” and then do it!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment

Popular Posts