Friday, July 10, 2015

Introducing Author Carol J Post

1)  Where did the idea for Hidden Identity get its spark?
       I thought it would be fun to write a heroine who faked her own death. With that spark of an idea, I had to come up with events that would justify her doing something so drastic, and everything just sort of grew from there. Hidden Identity is the second book in a series and is set in Cedar Key, Florida. My husband and I discovered Cedar Key several years ago when we were sailing in the area and stopped to restock supplies. We were so impressed with the quaintness of the island and the friendliness of the people, that when I wanted to write a series of books set in an island community, I knew Cedar Key would have to be it. Cedar Key has a real artsy, “Old Florida” feel. It’s the second oldest city in Florida (behind St. Augustine).

2)  Any other novels you have written and can tell us a little bit about them? 
         My first three novels were a series of books set in Polk County, Florida, published by Love Inspired Suspense. In Midnight Shadows, the heroine is being stalked. In Motive for Murder, the heroine comes back to deal with her sister’s suicide and learns she was murdered, and in Out for Justice, the heroine is a homicide detective on the trail of a serial killer. In the first book in the Cedar Key series, Shattered Haven, the heroine finds a secret code hidden inside her Victorian house and must decipher the clues before a possible killer does.

3)  How long have you been an author?   Do you have any current projects in the works we can know a little about? 
          I started writing articles in the early 1990s and was published in some religious and children’s publications. I wrote my first novel in the late 1990s, stopped and started several times, went back to school in between, and finally sold my first book, which was actually the third book I had written, to Love Inspired Suspense in 2012 (released January 2013). As far as current projects, the third book in my Cedar Key series releases in December, so I’m working on books four and five. I’m also starting a new series set in Murphy, North Carolina, for Love Inspired (not suspense). I just spent a week there doing research.

4)  If I were to be with you one whole day, what would a typical day be like?
         Probably not very exciting! I recently gave up my job as assistant general manager for a large condo association to stay home and write full time. My day always starts with taking care of the animals, which now consists of just one dog and one cat, since my two elderly cats (13 and 17) passed away in recent months. After vitamins, walks and feedings are done, then I get my own breakfast and have my devotional time. The rest of the day I spend writing, breaking it up with taking care of email and trying to work in a little social media here and there. Depending on how pushed for time I am, my husband will often cook dinner in the evening so I can keep writing.

5)  Besides missing your kids and grand-kids, what other hobbies or activities do you enjoy
          I enjoy sailing, camping, hiking, canoeing, kayaking…just about anything outdoors. I often even do my writing outside, either in the front yard under the big oak tree or in the screen room in the back. Fortunately, I live in Florida, so I can enjoy the outdoors all year round.

6)  What are some genres you like and who are some of your favored authors? 
            I enjoy romantic suspense, contemporary romance and young adult. I read both Christian and secular, but prefer my books to be on the “sweet” end of the heat spectrum. As far as authors, I would recommend any of my fellow Love Inspired authors. I’ve read books by Terri Reed, Lenora Worth, Jill Elizabeth Nelson and Roxanne Rustand, to name just a few, and they’re always very good. I like Heather Burch’s books, too, both her young adult and her adult books, which though not necessarily inspirational, are always clean.

7)  Do you have a particular goal, aim or desire that drives your writing?  When a person finishes your book is there something you hope they walk away with?
        I write about hurting people who have been through some rough times. They are damaged and often have difficulty trusting and letting other people into their lives. I want my books to appeal to believers and nonbelievers alike, so rather than preaching at the reader, I try to show through my characters’ experiences the difference trusting God can make in our lives. The most important thing I want readers to take away from my books is that when we come to God for forgiveness, healing, strength and comfort, He accepts us with open arms. He is always there and will never leave us or forsake us. A relationship with God at its center can withstand anything the world throws at it.

8)  Are there other types of writing you do such as articles, devotions, etc? 
         Although I got my start writing articles, I haven’t done much of that lately. I did, however, share a devotional on forgiveness on Kimberly Rose Johnson’s blog recently. You can check it out here.

9)  How long have you and your husband been married?  Is there one particular activity you two love to do together? 
         My husband and I just celebrated our 35th anniversary on June 13. (And yes, we did get married on a Friday!) As far as what we love doing together, probably sailing is our favorite. We also enjoy tennis (but he’s waaay better than me!) and all those outdoorsy things I mentioned above. We’re blessed that we enjoy so many of the same things.

10) Is there a word of advice or encouragement you have for people who might be considering becoming an author?    
        My number one advice to anyone who wants to be an author is to join a writer’s group. Writing is such a solitary activity, and when you start submitting, the rejections are bound to come. Besides all the valuable information that can be learned from the workshops offered, you’ll have other writers to encourage you to keep going and not give up.



BIO
Carol J. Post writes for Harlequin's Love Inspired Suspense line and lives in sunshiny Central Florida. Besides writing, she works alongside her music minister husband singing and playing the piano. She also enjoys sailing, hiking, camping—almost anything outdoors. Her two grown daughters and grandkids live too far away for her liking, so she now pours all that nurturing into taking care of a fat and sassy black cat and a highly spoiled dachshund. You can find her at her web site (www.caroljpost.com), on Facebook (www.facebook.com/caroljpost.author) and on Twitter (www.twitter.com/caroljpost). For news and fun contests, sign up for her newsletter. (The link is on her website.)





Post a Comment