The Last Con

Title:  The Last Con
Author:  Zachary Bartels
Pages:  400
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
My rating is 5 stars out of 5.
Last year I read the author’s novel, Playing Saint, which quite exceptional and its tale unique.  Now readers are given a different type of story to read that is rooted in historical fact involving the Knights of Malta.  I don’t know about you, but what the author shares about history after the ending of the story was new to me and quite fascinating. 
It is hard to tell if some characters are protagonists or antagonists, which is part of the mystery surrounding the attempt to learn the identity of the Alchemist.  One male lead is a man named Fletcher who, after serving time in prison, is seeking to reconcile with his wife and daughter.  Fletcher is also trying to understand himself as to whether he is a true follower of Christ or just playing a game.
Another aspect of the novel is the relics that belong to…well, that is what the story is leading readers to discover.  The twists and turns of the plot keep the attention of the audience especially as readers travel back and forth between 17th century and current day events.  There are background characters that are willing to take whatever steps necessary to protect the identity of a secret organization as well as recover property they believe belongs to them from ages past.
If you have read Playing Saint, don’t plan on encountering a similar tale in The Last Con as they are vastly different.  If you love mysteries, history along with action, adventure and some surprises in the story, then this novel is definitely one to sit back and enjoy.  It took me a couple of chapters to understand where the author was going, but that was mainly due to expecting it to be like the author’s other novel Playing Saint.  I loved the historical aspects and facts woven into book and I hope that you will as well, especially because the history included is factual and not made up.  I really enjoyed the plot, characters and timeframes and hope to see the author write another intriguing novel soon.  So grab a copy and go back in time to a different land and people who were committed to keeping their past a closely guarded secret.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 

Post a Comment

Popular Posts