Thursday, September 17, 2015

Falling Like Snowflakes ( A Summer Harbor Novel #1)

Title:  Falling Like Snowflakes ( A Summer Harbor Novel #1)
Author:  Denise Hunter
Pages:  352
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
My rating is 5 stars.
The cover surely doesn’t capture the really wonderful tale written inside.  I hope the sequel coming out in 2016 has a better cover that conveys the story more accurately.  Inside is a story that includes themes like overcoming fear, trusting, relying on the Lord and romance to name a few.  The main characters are a woman and her very young son who change their names and looks in order to stay safe and alive.  When her car breaks down, she walks into a small town looking for a job.  While she is eating, she decides to go to the restroom and while in the restroom her bag is stolen.  Now she has neither money nor any belongings, but she’s alive.  She is not sure how safe she is after witnessing a murder.
If I tell you her name that would give away a little of the book so I will wait for you readers to discover who she is when you open the book.  The other characters are a family named Callahan who have endured heartache and are running a couple of businesses, with one being a Christmas tree company started by the father, who the family lost a year ago.  Three brothers, who are all bachelors, have an aunt coming home from the hospital in a few days and needing a caretaker.  While she may have a rough side to her, she sure is a pistol making me laugh at times when reading.
Through various happenings the woman and her young son come to the Christmas tree place looking for a job exactly when the bachelors need someone to look after their spitfire of an aunt.  There is palpable tension I felt when reading the book as it becomes apparent that someone is out to eliminate the woman and her son as they can identify the men who committed murder.  The focus is on Beau, who is the oldest of the three brothers and who runs the tree farm.  Zac owns and runs a restaurant followed by Riley who is looking to mature outside the “little brother” box.  The location of the story is in Maine and the family loves Patriots football.  While I don’t care for the Pats, I didn’t hold that against the author. J
The love of Christ is really represented in the story as well as the hope He alone brings when our lives have been torn apart as well as having broken hearts.  I sat and read the story within a couple of hours. It really reaches into the reader’s imagination as well as leading readers like me to a more realistic conclusion instead of one that resembles a fairy tale.  I cannot wait for the next book to be released in 2016, A December Bride.  I hope you will join me for the next adventure for the Callahan family.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment