Friday, September 18, 2015

Mistress of Tall Acre


Title:  The Mistress of Tall Acre
Author:  Laura Frantz
Pages:  400
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Revell
This story begins during the Revolutionary War.  Seamus Ogilvy is a general under George Washington’s command.  He gives eight years of his life to the war, and when he returns home, he find he must take his young daughter, Lily Cate, from unwilling relatives in the middle of the night to bring her home.  During the war, his wife dies and is buried in Williamsburg not their home of Tall Acre.  His wife was unhappy with him being gone so long and with country life so had moved to Williamsburg to live with her sister.  Upon the war’s end, Seamus is faced with a mountain of work at Tall Acre that in eight years of absence has accumulated.  He is also facing a potential custody battle from his wife’s sister who wants his daughter for her own.  If he were to marry, which he has absolutely no desire to do, he could show that his daughter would grow up with a mother and deflect the lawsuit.
Sophie Menzies is a staunch American Patriot despite her Scottish roots and the Tory beliefs of her father, who abandoned her and her mother and brother.  Sophie is now living alone at the family home next door to Tall Acre.  She and her two remaining old servants are barely eating a meal a day.  No one will hire Sophie as they attribute her father’s Tory stance to her, even though she proudly proclaims her American beliefs.  She meets Lily Cate one day while foraging for nuts to eat.  They form a fast friendship and soon Sophie loves Lily Cate like a daughter.  Sophie soon discovers her home has been given to an American as a spoil of war since it belonged to her Tory father.  With no home, no job and no food, Sophie prays for a solution to her problems.
There is just something about this author’s writing that draws me in from page one, gets my mind and heart engaged to keep me reading steadfastly until the wonderful ending of the story.  Every book I’ve read by Laura Frantz is one I would recommend.  The romance between Seamus and Sophie is so engaging!  The faith of Sophie in this story is amazing.  Her faith reignites the lagging faith of Seamus, spurring him on to trust God beyond what was thought to be endurable.  The writing is great, and I was sorry the story ended.  There is also a wonderful plot twist that I didn’t see coming that just made the story so much more satisfying at its end!  I hope to have some time to read some of Laura’s other books I’ve not had a chance to read before.  Please don’t miss this one!
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


Post a Comment