Secrets She Kept

Title:  Secrets She Kept
Author:  Cathy Gohlke
Pages:  416
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Tyndale
My rating is 5+ stars.
Cathy Gohlke wrote an exceptional tension-filled novel with mystery, intrigue, courage and so very much more.  Cathy’s other novel I have read is Saving Amelie, which is another riveting tale set in the WWII historical timeframe.  In her newest endeavor, the author crafts a heart-ripping redemptive story as one woman in America longs to learn her true ancestry after her mother’s passing.
Hannah is invited to Berlin to visit a grandfather she has never met or known about and learning about his past just about breaks her heart.  Yet, in the end, we learn a bigger story that has happened and who is the true Savior of mankind.  I so enjoyed hearing about Cathy’s travels and her experiences when she was researching this tale, including in her trips with various family members.
Some stories reach out and keep your attention because of characters and the action described in the pages.  With Secrets She Kept, the attention of the reader doesn’t falter as the author uses flashbacks and returning to the current time to convey the tale from a couple different characters’ point of view.  The best use of this method helped me enjoy understanding how each point of view could add a different dimension to the story being shared.
We must never forget WWII or any other wars or tragedy because they are part of our nation’s history and we can glean many lessons from what was experienced.  What Cathy shares is fiction and well-crafted, but also easy to imagine events happening for real as set up in the book.  I hope you will read, enjoy and savor the flavor of the novel long after you finish it and then perhaps share it with another person.  Here is a book for every personal library for people to read for years to come!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment

Popular Posts