Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Deadlock by DiAnn Mills

Title:  Deadlock (FBI Houston #3)
Author:  DiAnn Mills
Pages:  385
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.
Bethany Sanchez is new to the violent crimes division of the FBI.  She feels she has much to prove.  She is a by-the-book, rules lover agent.  Her new partner, Thatcher Graves, likes to work on instinct or hunches.  So right off the bat their investigation styles clash.  Bethany thinks the partnership will never work out, but Thatcher thinks they can play off each other’s strengths and weaknesses to be an unbeatable team.
As they begin to investigate a possible serial killer’s victim, their differing styles cause conflict initially, but as more killings happen they begin to see the value of the other’s style.  They spend hours together going over the case, conducting interviews and reading reports.  Bethany also must deal with an escalating family issue that threatens her family, her partner and even herself.  Does she have what it takes to survive in the violent crimes division as well as threats from two people bent on seeing her harmed?
There were some slow spots in the story with a little too much focus on Bethany’s family relationships for my taste.  However, the chapters were short which kept the story moving along.  There was lots of intrigue, mystery and suspense that kept me involved in the story, trying to figure out the criminal’s identity.  I liked Bethany’s compassion and love for her family even when they treated her terribly.  I also enjoyed seeing the softer side of Thatcher when he was away from the job as well as his developing relationship with God.  While this is a series, I was easily able to read this third book without having read books one or two and didn’t get lost.  They are basically stand-alone books.  I hope to read the first two books in the series sometime soon, so look for my thoughts about them right here!
My rating is 4 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment