Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Dog that Saved Stewart Coolidge

Title:  The Dog that Saved Stewart Coolidge
Author:  Jim Kraus
Pages:  336
Year:  2015
Publisher:  FaithWords
My rating is 5 stars.
One never knows what a story is like until reading begins and the end is reached.  I chose this book partly because I am a dog lover and also because Jim Kraus is a new author to me.  As I completed the novel, I was amazed at how subtle some of life’s toughest issues were handled by a young man, woman and a dog they named Hubert.
Of course readers will acknowledge the use of anthropomorphism throughout the story, but it really aids us in understanding the message of hope.  Stewart is a college grad who could only find a job bagging at a grocery store.  Lisa’s college training was in communications, but currently she is working in a coffee shop.  Hubert is a beautiful black and white dog who loves to frustrate the grocery store manager when he sneaks in, grabs a chew bone and escapes without being caught!
The scene is in a small town where all sorts of eclectic people live which adds flair to the work of fiction. As I came towards the end of the book, the message of hope became very clear and the future of the two young people was drastically changed.  Sometimes I would read the tale through the eyes of the dog and other times through various human characters.
I cannot thank the author enough for writing a tale with such a strong message of hope and new beginnings!  There were times I would laugh at a scene’s description and other times would cheer for the dog to not be caught or Stewart!  I am sure some of the audience will be able to relate to the dysfunctional family both Stewart and Lisa experienced.  Over all, the way this tale is woven together, I guarantee laughs, moments of contemplation and more laughs.  Jim Kraus writes a powerful story we won’t soon forget and might want to share with others!  Plan on reading this tale perhaps with friends or family members, maybe even a book club!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment