Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A Respectable Actress


Title:  A Respectable Actress
Author:  Dorothy Love
Pages:  374
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
India Hartley is a well-known actress who has decided to tour the southern portion of the United States, performing plays at various locations.  Her first stop is Savannah, Georgia, and it may be her last.  During the play, one of the actors is shot and India is seen holding the smoking gun.  She has a fan who hires India the best lawyer in the state, Philip Sinclair.  He believes his client is innocent, but must find proof.  The plot is a bit more complicated than he initially thought, drawing in someone from his past.  While spending time with Philip, India falls in love with him.  Sometimes he seems to reciprocate those feelings, but at other times he is aloof.  As India’s trial takes place, she puts her trust in Philip.  While trying to prove India’s innocence, Philip also must struggle with his feelings about someone from the past before he can proceed with his future.
I did enjoy the scenery and time period in which this story was set.  This story tries to add some mystery to liven it up, but it just didn’t work for me.  It was very predictable, and I found the main male character, Philip, cold and distant.  I really didn’t connect with the lead female character, India, either.  Philip put his faith in the law and India believed Fate gave her a second chance at life.  There was no mention of God or any type of relationship with Him.  I could have picked this book up from a secular publisher just as easily as I did from Thomas Nelson.  I am disappointed in the lack of faith issues with this book as well as some other recently released books from this publisher.
My rating is 3 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment