Escape From the Deep (The Epic Story of a Legendary Submarine & Her Courageous Crew)

Title:  Escape From the Deep (The Epic Story of a Legendary Submarine & Her Courageous Crew)
Author:  Alex Kershaw
Pages:  270
Year:  2008
Publisher:  Da Capo Press
My rating is us 5+ stars.
My first introduction to this author was through the Gary Sinise Foundation when he flew several WWII survivors and family members to the opening of The National WWII Museum.  The author does an amazing job of detailing an incident that I don’t remember ever learning.  The submarine was named The Tang and her crew was one of the most decorated in the submariner’s history as of the writing of the book.  Alex Kershaw was actually able to talk to two members of the crew, who were well into their eighties, and did a lot of digging into the past with help from family members and others.
It’s hard to express what exactly sticks in my mind, because all of it does.  These brave men were daring.  Perhaps history should be taught more with books like this rather than from a textbook, because it makes it much more real.  I would love to go the museum sometime though I am sure it would be an emotional journey, one I would never forget!
Until then, I highly recommend reading books that share about the lives of those in service to our country that we may never be able to thank because they are gone now.  However, if we can share the stories of these brave men and their families, we can be reminded of the high cost our freedoms come with and be more thankful.  Alex Kershaw has written other books and I plan to read more to share with my sons who love history too!  I think Alex’s gift of sharing these true hero stories is wonderful as we sometime forget what a true hero is and isn’t in the society in which we live.
My deepest thanks to all who have, are and will serve in the armed forces!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment

Popular Posts