Friday, November 13, 2015

The Bishop's Son

Title:  The Bishop’s Son
Author:  Kelly Irwin
Pages:  368
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Zondervan
My rating is 3 stars.
The Amish of Bee County series began with the novel, The Beekeeper’s Son; here is the sequel to that story, The Bishop’s Son.  Readers can look forward to the next novel in the series in 2016 titled, The Saddlemaker’s Son.
There are two young men interested in the main female character named Leila.  Jesse, though a bishop’s son, hasn’t yet committed himself to the Amish life or church as he continues to enjoy his freedom.  Will is committed to the Amish way wholeheartedly and is interested in Leila as well.  Jesse wants to show Leila a different world than her Amish community, and Will wants her to remain close to the community even though she is interested in working outside the Amish village.
Kelly Irwin writes interesting novels though sometimes the ending is quite predictable.  What brings tension into the story isn’t just two young men interested in one girl, but the fact that they are also cousins.  The beliefs of the Amish and Christianity are brought to the story in an interesting way.
I think the relationship tension along with wrestling with one’s personal beliefs though interesting just didn’t capture my attention as much as I had hoped.  The author writes a good novel; it just didn’t click with me.  You might consider reading the first book, The Beekeeper’s Son, in order to understand the background of the lead characters.  Kelly Irwin has written other novels as well so if these stories don’t draw you in like me consider looking into her other books.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment