Friday, November 20, 2015

The Five Times I Met Myself


Title:  The Five Times I Met Myself
Author:  James L. Rubart
Pages:  388
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
What would you do if you could go back in time?  Would you change anything?  Brock Matthews has that experience via his dreams.  He begins to have a nightmare involving his deceased father for five nights in a row.  He visits his best friend who gives him a book on lucid dreaming which claims that the dreamer can learn to control his dreams and thereby stop the nightmare from occurring.  Brock reads the book, finds it intriguing and gives it a try.  What happens next…well, you’ll have to read the book to find out!
Brock’s life, in addition to his nightmare, is falling apart.  His world famous coffee company that he runs with his brother is on the verge of bankruptcy, his wife is very distant and aloof and at his high school reunion an old girlfriend makes an appearance and an impression on Brock.  Brock also has some guilt over the way his relationship with his father stood at the time of his father’s death.  In addition, he has always felt his father loved his brother more and has been very competitive with his brother in just about everything.  He and his brother have a lot of tension in their relationship.  What if he could change things?  Brock has always viewed himself as a Christian, and he is sure he knows God’s plan for him.
This was a very interesting concept of redemption and healing.  I’ve read other books by this author and really enjoyed them.  The regrets about the past and the wishing for a “do-over” in some situations really rang true for me.  I liked the faith elements in the story as well as the realistic struggles Brock encountered.  The emotions evoked from grief to laughter were something else that engaged me in the story.  I’m looking forward to the next intriguing story from the pen of this author!
My rating is 4 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment