Thursday, December 3, 2015

A Thousand Shall Fall (Shenandoah Valley Saga #1)

Title:  A Thousand Shall Fall (Shenandoah Valley Saga #1)
Author:  Andrea Boeshaar
Pages:  278
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Kregel
My rating is 5+ stars.
First, let me tell you there is a sequel due to be released in November 2016 entitled, Too Deep For Words.  Second, at least for me, waiting for the next installment to read is going to be hard!  I absolutely appreciate the resources listed by the author, the map where the story takes place and the Author’s Note before even beginning her tale.  Normally, the Author’s Note is at the end of a story to aid readers in separating fact from fiction and to let them know where literary license was applied.
One can easily locate and read the story summary online so I won’t repeat that information here in my review.  I would like to share with you my thoughts about the novel set in a time period that really is beyond description in our nation’s history.  The author writes a very compelling, tension-filled and accurate portrayal of a couple of the battle scenes in the book.  While I am not an expert in this time frame, it is a hobby I enjoy learning about with all of the events, people and other information about the War Between the States.
Prepare yourself for an action-filled, budding romance as well as a thriller that had me hoping those who dared to help others regardless of the color of their uniform would be successful in saving lives.  Scenes include where food was scarce, clothing was worn till it almost was transparent and compassion from a couple characters while others spewed hatred.  The work of fiction isn’t one where I have ventured before with other authors so please don’t expect it’s just a repeat of the “same old thing”.  No, this is new and captivating.
The book will draw the audience in heart, mind and soul.  I found it interesting how some of the female characters were aware of the others’ support for one side or the other, but for propriety sake kept each other’s secrets.  I simply adored the tale and more so the faith themes woven throughout A Thousand Shall Fall from beginning to end!  After you read it, you might consider sharing it with someone you know who enjoys historical fiction or get a copy for them to enjoy.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment