Monday, December 7, 2015

The Traitor's Heir

Title:  The Traitor’s Heir (The Knight of Eldaran #1)
Author:  Anna Thayer
Pages:  544
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Kregel
My rating is 4 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. 
The Traitor’s Heir was a good book.  It is about a man named Eamon Goodman whose highest ambition is to serve the Master of the River Realm.  However, soon after he has sworn his allegiance to the Master, he discovers that not everything is as it seems.  A voice enters his mind and goads him to do evil for the Master’s glory.  Joining the Gauntlet or army of the River Realm means serving the Master and fulfilling his duty whatever the cost against the Realm’s enemies, but when he is captured by these enemies, he is brought to the true King of the Realm.  This King opens Eamon’s eyes to a new way of serving something bigger than him.  Eamon agrees and swears a new oath to the King.  He is then sent to the Kingdom’s capital to spy for the King, but once inside he is exposed to temptations of power and lust for high born women sworn to the Master.  In his struggles, Eamon wonders which master he is going to betray for “a man cannot serve two masters.”
There were things that I liked about the book and things that I didn’t like.  What I liked about the book was that it has some Christian elements to the story and it shows what Christians go through in this world for even though they are Christians they are still human.  There will always be temptation, so whether we give in or stand our ground is our choice.  Eamon represents one such Christian who is struggling to serve the true King and yet the power of temptation is very strong.  Without the help of the power of the King’s Grace, Eamon will fall. What I also liked about the book is that it shows a man trying to be an example of light in a world of darkness.  I also enjoyed some of the fantasy elements in the book that reminded me of The Lord of The Rings.
What I didn’t like about the book is that it has some language and sexual content.  Fortunately, the language didn’t involve the F-word.  The sexual content wasn’t totally explicit or graphic, which was good.  I do get the reasoning behind this as it shows how people who don’t believe in God or people who have said they believe in God but have walked away from their faith in Him behave in this world.  They follow the ways of sin and not that of God.
So I liked the book a lot and I would recommend this book to others.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment