Thursday, December 10, 2015

Whispers in the Reading Room (The Chicago World’s Fair Mystery #3)

Title:  Whispers in the Reading Room (The Chicago World’s Fair Mystery #3)
Author:  Shelley Gray
Pages:  352
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Zondervan
My rating is 5 stars.
Whispers in the Reading Room is a wonderful tale about people coming to realize that they are needed, valued, loved and redeemable.  The previous books in the series are most enjoyable so please don’t pass them up.  First in the series is The Secrets of Sloane House followed by Deception on Sable Hill.  Characters introduced to us in the first tale come back in the following books though not all of them.
Author Shelley Gray has woven an excellent series set in Chicago with the adventure and action of the World’s Fair going on in the background.  Readers will meet seedy characters and characters that show us courage, faith, love and hope.  In Whispers in the Reading Room, we meet a librarian named Lydia who is never satisfied by reading one book so she constantly reads all types and genres.  Lydia is living her life through the fictional characters she meets because her real life brings her reminders of never measuring up to the demands of the times or her mother.
Sebastian’s past is one he left behind, reinventing himself in order to appear as a gentleman.  While he wasn’t born into the upper class, he begins to visit the reading room to immerse himself in the various words of wisdom, knowledge and for the love of escaping his present dark reality.  For a time he feels he can ignore reality and no longer have to guard his words, actions or appearance.  Yet, both Lydia and Sebastian along with two helpful servants come to realize that they are better by being with the one they love than pushing them away.  Above all one or two minor characters realize that looking for other people to fill a sacred place in our hearts can be filled only by God.
I can relate to both Sebastian and Lydia’s love of reading for a variety of reasons, and I appreciate those who share their stories with us.  When I come across a person who isn’t a reader by choice, it breaks my heart as there is so much to enjoy if one would but open a book.  I hope you will enjoy the three books Shelley Gray has written and then consider sharing them with someone else. 
Have you heard the saying that “things learned are caught rather than taught”?  It’s true because the love I have of reading was instilled in me as my mother had my siblings and I reading whether we were in school or not.  During the summer we would go to our rooms to read instead of napping.  Reading is an adventure just waiting for you to enjoy!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment