Sunday, January 17, 2016

Captive (DVD)

Title:  Captive (DVD)
Studio:  Paramount
Year:  2015
My rating is 4 stars.
This movie is based on a true story that can be read about in the book Captive:  The Untold Story of the Atlanta Hostage Hero.  In 2005, Ashley Smith and Brian Nichols are about to meet in a dramatic and life- changing way.  Brian Nichols is set to appear in a courtroom to face criminal charges when he accosts the sheriff guarding him, steals her weapon and then proceeds to take the lives of four people and escapes.  Brian then steals various vehicles to avoid capture.  When he captures Ashley outside her apartment, he then proceeds to keep her there with him for hours.  During that time, she reads a book given to her called, The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren, which originally she had trashed after leaving a meeting for those trying to break free of living on drugs.
I read the book first which helped fill in some of the gaps not shown in the movie.  When seeing the movie, please don’t allow young children to watch it due to the violence.  There is a vast difference when I read a book as to see it played out on the screen.  The movie really grabs ones heart and attention, drawing the audience back to a tragic event in 2005.  At the end of the movie, there is a clip of the real Ashley Smith when she appeared on Oprah as well as the sheriff who was beaten.
There is also a memoriam to those who lost their lives that day in court.  I remember this event when it broke on the news, but hearing what went on in the courtroom and then with Ashley really was very moving.  It also reminds us that just because the moment he is captured is over the ripple effect of the aftermath continues today.
Above all, we see God’s hand moving and working on hearts when evil is trying to ruin many lives.  My heart went out to the families who lost a loved one and to Ashley Smith.  It is beyond understanding why Brian chose to commit the actions he carried out.  I pray the families have been able to work through their suffering and see how God is carrying them, loving them and healing them.  I saw too how God kept Brian from doing worse to Ashley and protected her from falling back into the drugs after it was over.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment