Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Step by Step by Candace Calvert

Title:  Step by Step (Crisis Team)
Author:  Candace Calvert
Pages:  400
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Tyndale
My rating is 5 stars.
Whew!  What an exciting, suspenseful and heart-tugging ride as I read the story from start to finish.  I enjoyed Candace Calvert’s latest book plus I am excited to know another one will be coming out later in the fall of 2016!  Readers follow Taylor’s journey through her grief, her work as an ER nurse along with learning about God being in control.
In the book is a reflection of how as humans we want life to go faster, especially when we are hurting without thinking that we might be missing God’s work.  The story is, I believe, factual in how burnout in any service job that requires such emotional giving is high.  Here we read of a crisis team that goes to walk alongside those who have experienced tragedy.  Readers will also learn how those who volunteer to be there to help others through hard times at all times of the day need to be cared for too.
In the story we read of a nurse who has been wounded in her soul and heart very deeply in the past, and it is affecting her life in negative ways.  The nurse’s name is Sloane and she is not open to believing in love or God due to the deep wounding in her soul plus the hopelessness she carries around inside. 
There is suspense, a mystery that is not easy to solve and characters that are strong in their faith; yet, who at times wrestle with their walk in the Lord.  When we cannot see the next step we are to take or how God is taking care of us, it sure can shake us up.  For me, the main theme is that all the bullet point planning or any attempt to control our lives is futile.  The peace we seek comes when we give that control back to God and trust Him to take care of us and understand the deep love He dispenses personally on each person.  This is a great novel and one that touches the heart!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment