Friday, January 15, 2016

The Imitation of Christ (Classic Devotions in Today’s Language)

Title:  The Imitation of Christ (Classic Devotions in Today’s Language)
Author:  Thomas A. Kempis; edited by James N. Watson
Pages:  288
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Worthy Inspired
My rating is 5 stars.
Thomas A. Kempis wrote a very serious and compelling even convicting devotional to use in personal quiet time with the Lord.  I looked up some information on Thomas A. Kempis who was a very intelligent and serious man who sought God.  I also learned that this devotional has been the second highest seller of books right behind the Bible.  Not only that, this writing has been around for centuries plus it is in several languages.  When many other works have long since disappeared, why has The Imitation of Christ not only continued to be around but is still being demanded by readers all over the globe?
While it is true that it isn’t inspired and without error like the Bible, I can say I now understand the draw to many people.  Originally written in Latin this new edition is in today’s language, making the compelling words easier to understand and apply to our lives.  In the edition put together by James N. Watson, the writings are compiled by topic making the devotions easier to find when searching by topic.
A couple of the devotions I really marked up because they spoke to my heart by exhorting, pruning or sheering my spirit to imitate the Savior in my life.  For example, here is part of a devotion I marked so I can return to it to contemplate it often:  “In the cross is health, in the cross is life, in the cross is protection from enemies, in the cross I heavenly delight, in the cross is strength of mind, in the cross is joy of the spirit, in the cross is the height of good deeds, in the cross is holy living.” (pg. 19).   What do you think of the quote or better yet what do you sense in your heart as the Spirit speaks to you?
There are devotions that are underneath topic headings such as trust, loving, wisdom or obedience.  While this is not the complete list at least I hope it gives you enough to really consider obtaining a copy.  Then sit before the Lord with your Bible, journal or notebook, writing utensils and this devotional.  I promise it won’t take long before you just sit there in awe of God along with coming away from quiet time with a challenge if you really think about the pearls of wisdom within the book.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Post a Comment