Undaunted Hope #3 (Beacons of Hope series)


Title:  Undaunted Hope #3 (Beacons of Hope series)
Author:  Jody Hedlund
Pages:  384
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Bethany
My rating is 5 stars.
This series began with the novel titled Love Unexpected followed by Hearts Made Whole and now the third installment the subject of this review.  When I completed the novel, I knew that to really appreciate the conclusion it would be helpful to readers to read the first two books in the series.
I would be hard-pressed to say I loved one book more than another as each brings out elements of faith with some romance.  In the Undaunted Hope novel, there is tension in the small Upper Peninsula town in Michigan as one man holds people under his thumb via fear.  The villain is Percival who runs the mines, the mining store, and the inhabitants of the town except for the two brothers who attend to the lighthouse.  Michael and Alex run the lighthouse until the winter locks the town in its fierce winter storms when no steamer can get to them; it is then the two men have a break from their labor.  Michael is a widower with two young children, a son named Gunnar and his daughter Ingrid.
When Tessa is hired as the local teacher, her heart wants nothing to do with lighthouses or the two brothers running them.  All Tessa wanted to do is go so far that her dignity would remain intact, her past mistake wouldn’t be flaunted before the townspeople and she can teach.  However, Tessa sees more that she believes she can do to help the poor come out from under their poverty and even have a better life. The results of her attempts will keep you reading for hours!
I couldn’t put the novel down till the conclusion because of the twists and turns in the plot that kept me glued to the book.  The townspeople were captives of fear and I wondered if they were ever going to break free of the one man who wanted them to remain captive for his own benefit.  Tessa’s contract stated she couldn’t marry plus she wanted to stay away from lighthouses, but she was falling in love with one of the brothers.  Then, I wondered when the new mine owner came to visit the town if he had the wisdom and integrity to see who the real villain was and who the victims were before returning  to New York.
In her exceptional way of weaving a captivating, heart-pounding story, I just so enjoyed Jody Hedlund’s latest Beacons of Hope work of fiction.  My heart raced with anticipation in parts and other times I was just amazed at how some of Tessa’s acts of kindness could change the heart of one man in the town very few people took notice of or cared about.  Please enjoy the three Beacons of Hope books.  I can’t wait to see what Jody will share with us next from her imagination and research!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts