Saturday, January 23, 2016

Veiled at Midnight (Twilight of the British Raj #3)

Title:  Veiled at Midnight (Twilight of the British Raj #3)
Author:  Christine Lindsay
Pages:  278
Year:  2014
Publisher:  WhiteFire
My rating is 5+ stars.
Here is the final book of the trilogy, which is by far the best of the best!  We are introduced to India, her people, politics, religious sects, and flavors of food and more that excite the heart.  When I started reading the book a couple of hours ago, part of me was sad because it was the last novel of the series.  I enjoyed the constant adventure and action, friendships forming, hearts mended and lives redeemed.
The story in this novel takes place a little over a decade from the events in the first book, Shadowed by Silk.  The main focus is on Cam who is now a young man.  He returns to India and longs to express his long-held feelings for Hadassah whom he met at the orphanage years before when they were but wee ones.  Cam has served in British Intelligence and has been keeping his broken heart and alcoholic problems a secret.  On a whim, Hadassah agrees to marry Cam even knowing the future will be anything but easy coming from two different nationalities.
The tension grows even more in India when the exodus of the British along with the land division is moved up from years to mere weeks.  There is also a flavoring of a mystery as to who has been really transformed by Christ and those who may no longer live as if they believe.   With the geographical boundaries changing many wonder how that is going to affect the ability to teach women, share the gospel or how many lives may be lost or harmed in the change.
Above all, I loved the way the author kept me turning pages as I wanted to see how various plots concluded whether on a national scale or personal ones.  At the time in history when these stories take place there is none of the latest technology which many rely on so much today.  Letters would or could take weeks in the story whereas now we can send a note over the internet in seconds.
I love historical fiction because there is much to learn anew.  With so many things happening around the world at the same time other tales get lost for awhile.  I am reminded how the enemies of Christ are deceived and the strength it takes to share the gospel when death could be imminent.  I fell in love with the people who were created uniquely and saw life so colorful, especially if they knew Christ.  I can’t state it enough that reading these novels will definitely touch your soul, heart and mind.  So enjoy Shadowed of Silk, Captured by Moonlight and finally Veiled at Midnight!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment