Friday, February 5, 2016

Lady Maybe


Title:  Lady Maybe
Author:  Julie Klassen
Pages:  400
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Berkley Books
Hannah Rogers is desperate to get her son back.  She was forced to live in a home for unwed mothers and after giving birth, her son was basically held hostage until she could afford to pay for his care.  The landlord, however, keeps raising the rates.  Hannah is forced to go back to the Mayfield home and ask for her job back to earn the necessary money to retrieve her son.  While on a journey to the country with the Mayfields, they are in a carriage accident.  While recovering from injuries, mistakes are made entrapping Hannah.  She knows she is doing wrong, but how else can she get her son back?  While contemplating that situation, she is also trying to sort out her feelings for two men.  She might set one free only to discover the other man holds no love for her.
Negatives:  Please be aware that the publisher for this book is not Bethany House, who has previously published some of this author’s books.  This is not a Christian publisher and that is evident in some of the content of the story.  The intimate scenes are more descriptive than in her other novels and add nothing to the storyline.  The infidelity of characters in the book is just too much.  There are a few brief references to God by Hannah, but not like in the author’s other stories where faith is more evident in the main characters.
Positives:  The description of this time period seemed spot on to me, and it is a period I enjoy reading about.  I liked the writing style of the author.  I also liked the one character who did speak of God the most, the housekeeper, Mrs. Turrill.  She speaks of God’s ability to forgive any sin; there is no sin that is so great that He cannot forgive.  She also shows the love of God to Hannah and Becky.  She tells them that God loves them and that they are valuable in His sight.  The author’s next book will be published by Bethany House, so I am hoping there will be more of a faith focus.
My rating is 3 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment