Dressed for Death (Drew Farthering Mystery #4)


Title:  Dressed for Death (Drew Farthering Mystery #4)
Author:  Julianna Deering
Pages:  320
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Bethany House
Drew Farthering and his wife Madeline have been married for six months now and have been invited to attend a Regency gathering at one of his old school mate’s house, Tal Cummins.  They arrive with Drew’s best friend Nick and his love interest Carrie along with Carrie’s young brother Will to find Tal engaged to Alice.  As the week progresses with all dressed in Regency style and taking part in all sorts of activities.  The story moves along slowly and about one-third of the way through the first death occurs.  The authorities are called in, but Tal asks Drew to investigate on his own to try to find out the answers.  Drew feels the tug of friendship from the past and agrees, even though he really has no clues to pursue.
Soon another body is discovered and Drew faces guilt over this death, but Tal continues to press him to put his detective skills to use.  Drew asks some questions, but seems to make no headway.  However, there is an undercurrent Drew senses and knows there is something else going on.  He sees some interesting things that might be related, but can’t seem to get any definitive answers.  Yet another death occurs and Drew feels like giving up, but with Madeline’s encouragement he continues.
I have read the other mysteries in this series and enjoyed them, but this one left me sad and depressed.  There was so much death in the same family that it sidetracked the mystery element for me.  In a lot of mysteries, the criminal is discovered and justice is served and the reader is left with some satisfaction.  This ending did unveil the criminal, but left me feeling unsatisfied.  There was also too much time spent with the Regency party details with little action or investigation by Drew to find the culprit.  I did like when Drew shared his faith with Tal as well as Madeline’s reliance on God and encouraging Drew in his God-given calling.  I look forward to the next mystery in the series and hope the next one is more satisfying for this mystery lover.
My rating is 3 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts