Monday, March 7, 2016

Miriam by Mesu Andrews


Title:  Miriam
Author:  Mesu Andrews
Pages:  384
Year:  2016
Publisher:  WaterBrook Press
My rating is 5 stars.
Miriam is Moses’s older sister mentioned in the Old Testament six times; she has been a Biblical figure of interest to me for years.  How would you envision Miriam feeling when Moses returns after four decades to lead the Israelites to freedom?  Mesu Andrews draws us in to ancient Biblical times to imagine the people who lived and suffered in Egypt prior to the ten plagues and the mass exodus.
As readers go further into the tale, it is easy to become enraptured with the action and scenes as they occur on the page.  For me, I often wondered how the Hebrews felt as they suffered right along with Egyptians for a couple of the plagues, but then God made a distinction between those He called His own and the Pharaoh’s nation.
Lest we think the Jewish people were ready and accepting of Moses, the fictional writing includes scenes that remind us of the man God called and how he was received when returning to Egypt.  Some of my curiosity was piqued when Moses would explain how he felt being called and how he struggled to obey.  I was captured by how Miriam was shown to be compassionate at times towards Moses and other times frustrated.
After enjoying the story, please read the Author’s Note as Mesu shares some insights along with the titles of a couple of sources for interested people.  Thanks Mesu for a wonderfully written work of fiction that speaks of how God introduced himself to the Jewish people and insights into the heart of humans who needed Him then, and need Him now!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment