Thursday, March 31, 2016

Playing the Part

Title:  Playing the Part
Author:  Jen Turano
Pages:  352
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Bethany
My rating is 5 stars.
I would have to say this is one of the best reads of Jen’s novels for me in a long time.  There is a real underlying mysterious plot that runs through the book and in many places the situations are funny.  The main female character is an actress.  Believe me when I tell you the author puts many twists in the storyline.  Even in the epilogue there was a surprise that I never expected.  So well done Jen!
The main male character is a reclusive and eccentric man who lives in a castle with a really interesting staff.  Just when you think you understand the complex personalities of some of the characters, in comes a surprise that will keep a reader glued to the pages.  The male character lives in this castle with working cannons that some of his staff just love to set off; it’s funny!
There is an elderly woman in the story who loves to play matchmaker; she is a hoot!  Most of the background players are really fascinating and unique and they bring spice to the story for sure.  The nefarious character is Silas Ruff, and this guy is rough and very calculating!
There is much in the story for which I think many readers will enjoy and I hope to pass along the book for others to enjoy.  One theme I loved was how the main female character is very different from what is expected or shown when she is on stage.  The funniest part of the book is a goat named George.  Wait until you read what he likes to do when he sees a skirt!
I am not revealing much because it was so fun to just read and discover the way the plot ran and I want that for those of you who read it to discover too!  There are serious parts, some intense scenes and really Jen is just telling one of the best stories for this time frame that I have read in a long while!  So grab a copy and get set to be entertained to the hilt!
Watch out especially for the South meeting the North again in a very unique way!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment