Thursday, April 28, 2016

Loving Leah Author: Lynn Larson

Title:  Loving Leah
Author:  Lynn Larson
Pages:  208
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Covenant
My rating is 4 stars.
The setting of the story is when Quantrill hit Lawrence, Kansas with devastating and deadly results.  The novel focuses on one family’s hardship of losing their mother to an illness while their father is off to war and then the raiders hit.  The father of Ethan and Addie hires a governess who is a Mormon.  She was orphaned young and wanting to work her way to Utah.
For me, the novel was riveting in historical details and focusing on this one incident helped me understand more of what occurred.  Included in the book I believe is a lot of Mormon history which helps to understand what and why they believe what they do.  Plus knowing what they went through historically I found of interest.
In many ways the heartache, broken lives, and need for forgiveness and restoration is accurately portrayed.  While I don’t agree with the theology of Mormons, I can appreciate what many sought historically as well as today, which is freedom to worship in America.  The book is a clean, well-researched and well written tale that can be enjoyed by simply ignoring the Mormon teaching interwoven in the book.
For history buffs of the Civil War this is a good tale to learn about that time period, which is why I choose to read the book.  No matter who writes or publishes any book always be discerning and let the Word of God and not man be the basis of truth.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment