Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Mapmaker’s Children (A Novel)

Title:  The Mapmaker’s Children (A Novel)
Author:  Sarah McCoy
Pages:  336
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Broadway Books
My rating is 4 stars.
The Civil War era is a personal favorite of mine to read about either in fiction or nonfiction.  For me, this is the first of Sarah McCoy’s books to read.  Here she takes readers between two time periods.  One is at the time of the Civil War, John Brown and the Underground Railroad.  The other is the present day where a married couple is wrestling with infertility and find out the home they now own was once a part of the Underground Railroad.
Both Sarah, who is John Brown’s daughter and Eden are trying to find their place in life as women who are unable to bear children.  Children are usually expected or desired in marriage and depending on culture, it’s a sign the marriage is successful.  Eden’s character is very different by the time the reader reaches the end of the book, which is captivating.
Sarah’s story for me was more interesting as it was full of historical scenes and time is taken to develop her story.  Eden’s tale happens within a shorter time frame and perhaps because it is more present day I didn’t find it as interesting or captivating.  Either the author could have written two separate novels in order to develop Eden’s story better or just shared with reader’s Sarah’s journey.  So much more could have been included about the Underground Railroad, John Brown’s life and Sarah’s artistic gift.  Overall though the novel was enjoyable and interesting, I will be watching for what the author decides to share with us next!  At the end of the book the author shares her pictures and interesting notes from her research.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Post a Comment